Plunge Pontificates

A place for my thoughts.

email me

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

The Smith & Merritt Institute Part 2

Well, I thought I would write that little piece and be done with it. Guess not. Why you ask? Because I'm getting email about it. Weird, eh? I blog about subjects that I feel are extremely important, world changing events, I hear bupkis. I write about some personal financial folks, I get inundated with email. I guess I'm the one, the only source of information about them out there on the good ol internet.

Does that make me some kind of informational guru?

Anyway...

In 10 years, after Mr. Daniel Reed Smith and Mrs. Kathryn Merritt become billionaires, I'll be able to point and say, "Its all because of ME, ME I tell you!" "Fall down on your knees and respect me!!!" ha.

Actually though, I thought I would try to answer some of the questions I've been getting.

First, the first article I wrote came from and informal talk with them. I personally have never called or received a call from one of their workers. I don't know what is said on the phone. I have no idea what things cost or don't cost. I have no desire to be able to answer those questions either. I'm far more interested in the two founders, their ideas and what they are thinking now and in the future. I'm interested because they validate some long held beliefs on my part. For example, I've long held the belief that refinancing your home to pay off ANY debt such as credit cards, or to go on a trip is ludicrous, asinine and plain ol STOOPID. (yes, I know the proper spelling of the word, sheesh) They fully agree. I believe strongly in having a cash reserve for emergencies. Bingo! Again, they agree. I believe in paying off your debts before investing. 3 for 3, they feel even more strongly than I do about this.

What I do know is they seem very sincere. They believe in what they teach and try to live by it. I didn't mention it in the last piece, but I do know they are very charity minded. I know they have started a charity helping to pay the expenses for families whose children have cancer. They did this because Kathryn lost her young son to cancer and she feels very strongly about helping, especially the families. Many of you know, actually, any that have read my blog for any period of time knows that I helped start a charity helping Iraqi children. So, I can understand Kathryn's dedication to this and respect it fully.

Also, I did find a press release from them. Interestingly, they have a quote from Denis Waitley about them. With Denis behind them, it gives them some more legitimacy. Of course, nothing like the legitimacy of having ME blog about them...

Here are some excerpts from the press release:




Daniel Smith and Kathryn Merritt have been in the financial sales and marketing industry for nearly 2 decades. During that time, they were instrumental in the launch and management of campaigns for companies such as Charles Givens, Anthony Robbins, Stephen Covey, Peter Lowe, Denis Waitley, Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins, and many others.

...

Best selling author Denis Waitley agrees. "I've been close to Dan and Kathryn for years and impressed by their financial ideas and philosophies. This new institute and release of their new program will allow them to achieve their dream of helping their fellow man as well as giving new hope to those in financial need."



Well, that's about all for now. Still, my curiosity is piqued so don't be surprised if I blog about them again. I mean, I am the one that found them and gave them all this unintentional publicity...and we all know its all about ME! ;-)

UPDATE: Kathryn and Dan have now started their own blog. Please see their blog for information and for comments. Due to my recent health difficulties, I will no longer be maintaining this blog. Any further comments will be automatically deleted.