Plunge Pontificates

A place for my thoughts.

email me

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Hines Ward and the Mixed Race Problems in Korea's Xenophobic Society

It is truly wonderful to see all the discussion that the success of Hines Ward is causing. It is a necessary discussion. Marmot has a wonderful post which will hopefully jump start the discussion.

Whenever I think of this, I go back to one of my first posts on this site:

For example, I am currently in the process of helping a family immigrate to the US. The husband is already here, owns his own business, etc. We have done the paperwork so his wife and 3 children can come and join him.

This is a family that loved Korea and didn't want to leave. Society gave them little choice. I guess I shouldn't say that, they had a choice. But more than loving Korea, they love their children. You see, they have a daughter that is a downs syndrome child. It isn't too severe, but there are the characteristic facial features and some mental retardation.

In Korea, this child isn't accepted. She can't live any kind of a normal life.

I have a neighbor with a downs syndrome daughter and she is completely accepted. The neighborhood loves her and understands her. She is never teased. She is always encouraged and the girls all invite her to participate in their activities. In fact, just think how thrilled she, and her parents were when she was invited to go and attended prom this year. A wonderful young man in the neighborhood who doesn't have a girlfriend took her. They went as a group with some other couples in our area. It was a wonderful time.

This is how every child should be treated. But the opposite is true for our friends in Korea. Contrast the above with how their daughter is treated. At school, she was bullied. She came home one day covered in dirt because the kids pushed her in the mud and told her to eat it. Her clothes ripped, her lip bloodied. This happened more than once. When her mother went to school, the teachers berated her for ever sending a 'child like that' to a public school. In class she was ignored by students and teachers alike. She has no friends and is now home taught. The girl's mother called her sister to cry on her shoulder but received no help there. Her sister wanted to know why she kept her after they found out she had problems. Why hadn't they put her in an orphanage?

Yes, what a difference. In Korea, those with problems are shunned.

Beyond that, you have the wonderful way those that marry foreigners are treated. Heaven forbid they have children.

Being a proud father and husband. I feel my wife and daughter are the two most beautiful women in the world. Imagine my surprise the first time I was told my daughter was no better than an animal, that she was sub-human, an abomination. Here is my daughter. She is a straight 'A' student, she is in the National Honors Society, she plays piano and dances ballet. Yet, to some Koreans, her birth is an embarrassment.
Here is what my daughter looks like:



Of course there is racism throughout the world. I just find it far more blatant and ugly in Korea. Good luck Hines Ward! Hopefully he might break a few barriers. It would be nice to see him greated at the airport by the President of Korea as well as leaders of some civic groups and religious leaders.