Plunge Pontificates

A place for my thoughts.

email me

Monday, January 16, 2006

It has been a while...

Well folks, it has been quite a while since my last post. Kushibo called me out on that and I hope to be posting again regularly.

Life has been quite hectic, for a while, I was working 16-18 hour days on a new venture as well as trying to help my wife who, finally, has been diagnosed with the non-diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I truly hate that diagnosis but some doctors whom I greatly respect have all come to the same conclusion. We are currently trying to figure out what is the best treatment for her.

Myself, I'm a pretty strict science guy. I don't go in for holistic medicine and the like. I like good, double blind studies. My wife is far more liberal than I when it comes to these things.

So, any suggestions are appreciated.

Again, I hope to blog more often, at least a few times a week.

Thanks!

Oh, yeah. With my wife, if this is the right diagnosis, I'm of the opinion, for her at least, it is a sleep disorder. She has a horrific time sleeping, our doctor feels the same. One of the big things they discuss is that fibromyalgia patients can not enter 'phase 4' sleep and because of that, certain necessary hormones are not released into the body. Her doctor said there was a study in Europe where they used GHB to force the patients into this phase of sleep. Supposedly, it was 99% successful, meaning that 99% of the patients some at least some improvement. Now, as we all know, GHB is illegal in the US. Just PISSES THE HELL OFF OUT OF ME! Gahhhhh!!!! I can not understand this, just as I can NOT understand how we can deny those in need of medical marajuana. It is CRIMINAL in my opinion to withhold treatments that can help.

Currently, my wife is signed up to try a new sleep medication, supposedly it will also help a patient enter phase 4 sleep, although not nearly as well as GHB. It is a royal pain in the ass to use as you must take one dose before sleep, then another in 2 hours, so you have to set an alarm. Still, this seems to be our only option at this time.

Venting over for now.