Plunge Pontificates

A place for my thoughts.

email me

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

25 years since the Kwangju Massacre / Incident

Amazing that it has been that long. You can read a short summary here from ABC news.

I've yet to find a website that I feel acurately portrays what happened, they all have a strong agenda and I haven't been able to find one that shows the American side of things very well. So, I'll recommend some books, each with their own strong agenda, but maybe by reading them all you'll get a better feeling for what happened. My wife has requested that I do NOT write about what happened that day, so I will be on the look out for a website that deals fairly with the incident.

First: Korea on the Brink
Then: Contentious Kwangju
Finally: Kwangju Diary

A sad chapter in Korea's history.

UPDATE: Marmot has a good daily summary going of the events of what happened in Kwangju. Again, please remember that there will be disputes as to what actually occured.
Day 1, Day 2, Day3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6 & 7,

(some changes made to above text thanks to comments in the comment section)